December 4, 2013
Equinix Continues Expansion in Japan; Opens its First Data Center in Osaka
New carrier-neutral data center will enable international companies to expand business to Osaka
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. and OSAKA, Japan - December 5, 2013 - Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced the opening of its International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data center in Osaka, called OS1—its first in the western region of Japan. The OS1 data center was opened in partnership with K-Opticom, one of the largest access providers in the Osaka/Kansai area, and Kanden Energy Solutions (KENES) with support from O-BIC, an Osaka government agency that supports foreign-owned companies establishing businesses in the region. With the opening of Equinix's carrier-neutral data center, global companies can easily expand their businesses to Osaka, the second largest market in Japan.
Die wichtigsten Fakten im Überblick
- Osaka is located at the center of Kansai, the second largest region in Japan with a GDP of US$916 billion, a size comparable to South Korea's economy. Its central location, together with the strength of its economy, make Osaka the ideal second metro to support Equinix's existing Tokyo operations. Equinix's Japanese data centers will provide customers with access to a diversity of networks and geographies, utilizing the close proximity between Osaka and Tokyo. The first phase of OS1 will offer an initial 320 cabinets, expanding to over 800 in 2014.
- As a carrier-neutral data center, OS1 will provide multinational telecommunications companies the ability to interconnect with multiple local network services through K-Opticom. Customers inside OS1 will have access to more than 950 domestic and international carriers, establishing Osaka as a global network hub by directly connecting to Dojima, the network core in Osaka.
- As the backbone of the digital economy, Platform Equinix™ is used by more than 4,400 customers worldwide and serves as an interconnection hub to help companies grow their businesses. With Platform Equinix, customers in the data center can interconnect with a large Marketplace of existing and potential customers for revenue generating opportunities, and connect their IT infrastructures directly to partners' services. Additionally, through the Equinix Internet Exchange (EIE), customers can select and peer with a wide range of network providers, optimizing transit routes and helping decrease latency to significantly improve performance.
- Given the prevalence of earthquakes in Japan, OS1 has preventative measures in place in case of power supply issues or floods. With power systems that have built-in redundancy and backup generator systems in the event of a local utility failure, the structure is built to sustain potential environmental disasters. OS1 is also built with the most sophisticated seismic resistant system, handling maximum movement in response to anticipated large earthquake motions.
- KENES, a utility service company for data centers, provides technology, management and maintenance for OS1, enabling Equinix to exceed building and operating standards and provide a state of the art, global data center in Osaka.
- Kei Furuta, managing director of Equinix, Japan:
"The opening of our first data center in Osaka with the support of K-Opticom, KENES and O-BIC allows our customers around the globe with a diversity of networks and connectivity options in Osaka, driving synergies with our Tokyo operations. With the two key hubs in Japan, cloud, content and network providers, as well as financial services firms, can access the broadest choice of networks in the region, enabling them to rapidly and cost effectively expand their business, while better serving their international customers."
- Kenjiro Nakano, president of Keihanshin Building Co., Ltd:
"With the dedication and commitment of our team to building and supporting Equinix's first data center in Osaka, we are very pleased to see OS1 opening this month. The OS1 data center is the seventh we've built in the region. It will not only accelerate the internationalization of Osaka, but it will also enable the global expansion of Kansai-based corporations. We look forward to seeing the opportunities that access to OS1 will bring to local businesses in the region."
- Press release: JPNAP Expands Interconnection and Peering Services into Equinix's Newest Data Center in Tokyo
- Press release: Equinix Opens Fourth Data Center in Tokyo
- Press release: Equinix to Develop First IBX Data Center in Osaka in Partnership with K-Opticom and Kanden Energy Solution
- Blog: A Tale of Two Cities - Equinix to Develop a New Data Center in Osaka
Informationen zu Equinix
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), connects more than 4,400 companies directly to their customers and partners inside the world’s most networked data centers. Today, businesses leverage the Equinix interconnection platform in 31 strategic markets across the Americas, EMEA and Asia-Pacific. www.equinix.com.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.